Monday, November 27, 2006

I guess that the campaign by the U.S. and the FBI in particular to "win the hearts and minds" of Muslims are running into snags boh here and abroad(read article). First of all, I have never been a fan of the phrase "win hearts and minds". As a Muslim, only Allah should win our hearts and minds. The phrase makes me feel as though one entity wants to control another entity. I can not recall where a hearts and minds campaign has succeeded. If you want people to see you in a different light, then make a change and truly become the image that you project. Anything short of that will only breed mistrust and suspicion. Approach people as individual equals, and not as a inferrior that needs one leader to speak for everyone. Until you have this, I don't see a meaningful understanding arising.

No comments: